Wednesday, April 6, 2011

MOVIE REVIEW 2 : AKEELAH AND THE BEE


First time heard the name of the movie, I thought it is about a girl named Akeelah and the bee (an insect with a yellow-and-black striped body that makes a buzzing noise as it flies, the one that make honey, and can sting.) Until I found out it is about Akeelah and the spelling-bee (bee also means social event where people get together for a competition) How could I forget about this??? 

Actually I’m not very interested in this kind of movie. I am more to adventure and romantic movie. However, academic-theme movie also somehow can make us fascinated. For entertainment value, I give two and a half stars for this movie.  However, giving a few funny elements would reduce the stress of the audience to wait until the climax. Akeelah is a nice girl with a real determination. She was a lonely girl who missed her father so much (her father already died). However, she’s good at her study and really into words memorisation. The unique way of Akeelah memorizing words can somehow be practiced and learned by most of English learner!
I am so affected with the way Akeelah study and memorizing words. I am non-English speaker, studying English for about 15 years, yet never ever I studied words, open dictionary and memorize it! How could I learn to use the proper word if I not doing the same as Akeelah? Actually everybody has their own style of learning, no matter academic or languages, and each of us differ from one another. Maybe I should apply Akeelah’s routine as my weekly routine so I can add more vocabulary and good at spelling.  

Our system in Malaysia actually not very emphasis on the spelling and memorizing words. It does depend on teacher. There are some teachers that would ask students to remember a few words a week in the hope that students will memorize it. I personally think, the best way is memorizing phrases, not words. Surely we can do such activity like Akeelah, but first, make sure we know the meaning of the words we spell.


No comments:

Post a Comment